People, we've got hives! And I mean bad!
My SquirtTot's Monday Night Fever turned into Mama's Wednesday Unexcused Absence. Translation: Squirt was siiiiiiick last week. We went to the doctor and the verdict was bronciolitis and a stomach bug. Which meant that Mama got to chase the baby around for nebulizer treatments and change a lot of diapers.
While I was in frantic mom mode, and not thinking clearly, I decided that I would give my Squirt antibiotics in order to cover all my daycare bases (they really like to see kids on antibiotics before they come back - blah, blah, blah). He had a virus, but he continued to have green gunk coming from his nose, so I bit the bullet and gave him the remaining week of antibiotics from a previous prescription we had. I am my worst nightmare (read: DO NOT DO THIS, IT IS BAD). But...he got better and went to daycare all this week...until Friday.
Thursday evening I noticed Squirt was starting to develop a rash. It looked like hives. I called the doctor's office and they said it sounded like hives. George came home and also said it looked like hives. Squirt woke up in the middle of the night (he never does that); we turned the light on, and it still looked like hives.
Friday morning, it was terrible. All his little bumps were growing. He was red and swollen. The hives now looked like giant craters all over his little body. The red bumps were getting so big that they were meeting up with other bumps and creating huge red, raised, swollen patches. Friday morning, it no longer looked like hives.
George decided to make workplace history and said he was leave work in the middle of the day to take our SquirtItcher to the pediatrician. Yeah...that's how bad it looked.
George decided to make workplace history and said he was leave work in the middle of the day to take our SquirtItcher to the pediatrician. Yeah...that's how bad it looked.
It was hives.
Most likely related to the antibiotics.
So now Squirt has a penicillin allergy, which is also not good. But he's fine. A little itchy...but fine.
Let's hope he can stay healthy for at least a whole week.
Friday Morning
Friday Evening
(Don't worry, this is fake crying)
Saturday
At least he got to play in the snow, hives and all!
Awwwe, poor baby :( He looks like his Auntie Heather a month or so ago when she reacted to her antibiotcs! Give Squirt lots and lots of kisses from me!
ReplyDelete